Which Study Area Works Best For You?

Written by Samantha Wong (PEACE advisor)

​Many of my friends love studying at Main Stacks. It’s quiet, offers solid wifi and study spaces, and has just the right, somber atmosphere to promote studying and concentration. Unfortunately, while I do admit that I’m more productive at Main Stacks, I’m not a big fan of studying there. The library is too quiet, and the silence sometimes feels like a palpable weight on my ears. I find myself taking extra care to make sure I don’t shuffle my papers around too much and pick up my chair to move it to avoid making loud, disruptive noises. Sometimes I’ll let my friends drag me to Main Stacks with them, but I always have to have my headphones in.

The point is, different people have different optimal study spaces. Some prefer the library for its quietness and study-promoting atmosphere, while others prefer the comfort of their rooms/dorms. Wherever you study, make sure that your study area has the following amenities:

1. Wifi – Unless your work consists of readers and essays on said readers, you’re probably going to need a reliable wifi source to do your work. It’s frustrating and disruptive to have to keep reconnecting to the internet, so look for a spot that has free, reliable wifi. This is one of the reasons why I usually can’t study at Café Milano, as much as I’d like to.

2. Minimal distractions – Make sure your study spot has as few distractions as possible. Distractions include a bed to sleep or take naps in, lots of food to mindlessly snack on, distracting people, and a loud environment. If you have enough self-control to resist the distractions even when they’re present in the room, that’s even better, but it’s still a good idea to be away from the distractions in the first place.

3. A study-promoting atmosphere – Some people like dead-silence when they study, while others prefer white/background noise. Some even like studying outdoors on a nice day. Whatever you prefer, make sure your study space motivates you to study and does not distract you or discourage you.

4. Friends – Unless you prefer studying alone, studying with friends is a good way to make studying more fun and motivate each other. Make sure that you aren’t distracting each other, however. It’s a good idea to set designated times for studying and breaks.

The fall semester is drawing to a close, so make sure to finish strong!

About the author: ucbr