Seven Mistakes I’ve Made (or others) as a Freshman

WRITTEN BY AMEEK BINDRA (PEACE TUTOR AND ADVISOR)

Warren Buffett once said that,“It’s good to learn from your mistakes. It’s better to learn from other people’s mistakes.“ As a first-year student at such a huge school, it is not uncommon to feel anxious and lost. I remember on the plane ride over to San Francisco I spent six hours trying to relax, but even when I arrived at Berkeley, I was really nervous. I kept telling myself that undergrad was something that only happens once, and I wanted it to be done the right way. That being said, this article is written to help alleviate some of the stress incoming students may have at UC Berkeley.

1. Schedule smart

When getting ready to sign up for classes, make sure you create a backup schedule with second and third class choices. Try to Phase 1 and prioritize humanities classes if you are a STEM major. This is because humanities may be harder to do well in, so you want to get in that perfect class that interests you enough for you to do well. Also, Humanities courses are typically smaller (like 20-50 seats) compared to the large STEM lectures that can go up to 500 seats, so getting those seats can be tough. However, as a STEM major, be sure to try and Phase I any lab classes because those definitely fill up fast. Additionally, try to group your classes together  so that they are back to back. One hour gaps can sometimes be annoying, and it is so much better getting done with classes in one run.

2. Don’t overload on extracurriculars  — it’s not High School

Do what actually interests you, and don’t put more than what you can fit on your plate. There is so much to do at Cal, but you don’t have to do everything right at the get go. Save things for later years.

3. Be smart about credit cards

A lot of banks and companies target college students to get credit cards with initially appealing rates.  However, many students can get easily lured and not read the fine print with what comes with the credit card. It’s all right to have one credit card and build up your credit history, but having multiple and not being able to handle or use them wisely can create a huge problem.

4. Use your dining hall plan and flex points wisely

The new Cal Dining plan may not be as advantageous as previous years as it now has both meal swipes and flex dollars. The typical plan that comes with housing is 12 meal swipes a week and $250 flex dollars per semester. Flex dollars can only be used at certain CalDining affiliated shops around campus and special markets attached to dining halls. Make sure to try to use up your plan as much as possible, because your swipes don’t accumulate and your flex dollars are also gone by next year. My recommendation is to use your flex dollars on coffee at Peet’s or a nice meal at Brown’s.

5. Don’t be afraid to try out study abroad programs

A common pre-med or even STEM major myth is that it is nearly impossible to fit studying abroad into your schedule. However, if you make a good four-year-plan, it is totally doable. One option for busy students is doing the summer abroad. This is a great opportunity for students who are looking for an experience that won’t interfere with fall or spring classes and extracurriculars. You can even use your study abroad experience to conduct research in another country. A really popular program across all UCs is through the UCEAP program that lets you complete your pre-med physics requirements either in England, Australia, Cyprus, Spain, or Japan — and the classes are more straightforward and easier than the Physics 8A/8B classes at Cal. I encourage anyone interested in these programs to stop by the Study Abroad office to see the many options that are available.

6. Bring your jacket

Just because it’s California, doesn’t mean that it is not cold. Night can get really chilly on campus because we are close to the bay.

7. Don’t miss out on sleep

This one may seem like a common piece of advice, but I cannot stress it more. I’ve seen so many floormates suffer because of their sleep-deprivation, which weakens their immune systems. At the time it may seem as if it’s okay and sustainable, but in the long run it does a lot of damage.

Looking back on my first semester at Cal, I feel grateful for the opportunity to have gained these experiences at Berkeley. I’ve come to realize that the years spent as an undergrad are meant for students to learn about themselves and figure out their niche on campus and in their communities.  Some of my mistakes may be applicable, but you will also certainly have your own set of experiences to learn from. In one semester, I am beginning to find my space, and I know that all of you will too.

About the author: ucbr